The Diplomat's Wife Reading Group Guide
- The Diplomat's Wife addresses many of the questions that were left open at the end of Kommandant's Girl. Were you surprised by the answers? Satisfied?
- How did Marta's character change/evolve throughout the story?
- What was the most difficult challenge faced by Marta in the book?
- What was Marta's greatest strength? Her greatest flaw?
- What do you think drew Marta and Paul together so powerfully? How did their dynamic change throughout the book?
- What was Marta's relationship like with the places and people from her past?
- Did you agree with Marta's choices in the book? Did you find them believable?
- How was Marta's life affected by the secrets that she kept?
- How did Marta's view of Emma, and Emma's view of Marta, change in this book?
- Where do you think Marta ends up one month after the end of the book? One year? Five years?
- Did you think the events in Marta's life were driven by fate? Chance?
- What was the central theme of the book? Did it resonate with you?
Kommandant's Girl Reading Group Guide
- Did you find Emma’s choices believable? Which ones? Why?
- Do you think the ends that Emma’s was seeking justified the means of her choices and actions?
- How did Emma’s character change/evolve throughout the story?
- What was the most difficult challenge faced by Emma in the book?
- What role does Krysia play in the story? Lukasz?
- Do you agree with Emma’s decision to keep the paternity of her unborn child a secret from her husband? Why or why not?
- Emma kept secrets from both of the men in her life -- the Kommandant and Jacob. Do you think real intimacy is possible in such circumstances?
- What is it that you think Emma really wanted?
- How do you think Marta felt about Emma?
- Where do you think Emma winds up one month after the end of the book? One year? Five years?
- Who is your favorite character in the book and why?
- What is the central theme of the book and how did you feel about it?